Walk the line

Another of those films brought out in time for the awards season, Walk the line boasts great performances across the board, with Joaquin Phoenix's Johnny Cash particularly impressive in the vocal stakes, though he comes a close second to Reese Witherspoon's acting talent. It's wonderful to see her given a dramatic role worthy of her talent, just as the Buffy geek in me was delighted to see Larry Bagby in a supporting role.

Despite being no great fan of country music, I found myself wishing the film did not end with Cash's proposal to June Carter finally accepted. The two characters (and more particularly, their relationship) had more mileage than this film alone afforded them. For all that, it's a joy to see a biopic authorised by its subjects - both the leads were approved by Cash and his wife - of such high quality.

My one regret is that, once the awards season is over for another year, we'll be left with the usual crop of expensive tosh all over again. It's a great shame films of this calibre don't come out throughout the year.

(23rd February 2006)

Comments:
I am really, really hoping that Reese wins the Best Actress Oscar this year, I thought she was extraordinary. She faces TOUGH competition from Felicity Huffman in Transamerica, though.
 
Transamerica isn't out here until 10th March, so it won't be until after the Oscars that I have a chance to see her performance for myself.
 
it's be so cool if reese picked up a statue
 
and how cool dolly was nominated for the song in trans?!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Reviews A-Z